Harvard Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2003
- Harvard Law Review, Managing Editor
Harvard College, A.B., summa cum laude in History, 2000
Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, Associate, 2004-2011
The Hon. Robert D. Sack, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Judicial Law Clerk, 2003-2004
New York, 2004
United States District Court for the District of Delaware, 2012
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2007
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2009
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2008
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2017
Garrett B. Moritz
Garrett B. Moritz is a corporate and commercial litigator experienced in business litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery and other Delaware courts, including litigation regarding M&A transactions, contests for corporate control, allegations of breach of fiduciary duty against directors and officers, and alternative entity disputes.
According to Chambers USA, Garrett has been described as "superb," a "powerful intellect who is first-rate at issue-spotting and developing arguments," “really good on his feet," "strategic and meticulous in his approach," and as "an enormously talented lawyer" with "a very incisive and persuasive style" and "tremendous business judgment" who gives "advice I know I can rely on and I also know that the judges will listen to him." Garrett has also been named in Benchmark Litigation and The Legal 500.
Garrett has represented clients in some of the most high-profile Delaware cases in recent years, including Corwin v. KKR Financial Holdings, In re Tesla Motors, Inc. Stockholder Litigation, McDonald's Corp. v. Easterbrook, In re CBS, In re Facebook, Inc. Class C Reclassification Litigation, and Chicago Bridge & Iron. Garrett has also represented founders in disputes with their financing sources, as well as handling cases regarding questions of compliance with indenture provisions and allegations of creditor fiduciary duties, and similar litigation involving preferred stock, hybrid instruments such as trust preferred securities, and Delaware statutory trusts.
Garrett also maintains an active pro bono practice. In connection with the Co-Counsel Project, in which private law firms were asked to provide pro bono attorneys to partner with the Public Defender’s Office on some of Delaware's most serious homicide cases, Garrett successfully argued the appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court in Cannon v. State, No. 254, 2017 (Del. 2018), obtaining reversal of respondent's delinquency adjudication for criminally negligent homicide. Garrett also filed an amicus curiae brief in the Delaware Supreme Court on behalf of the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Delaware urging affirmance in Delaware Valley Field Services v. Ramirez, No. 556,2012 (Del. 2013), which the Court affirmed. In addition, Garrett serves on the District of Delaware Federal Civil Panel, a panel appointed by the Court to provide pro bono representation in meritorious civil cases.
Garrett has guest lectured on topics in Delaware corporate litigation at Columbia University Law School, Georgetown Law Center, Harvard Law School, and the University of Chicago Law School.
Before becoming a founding partner of Ross Aronstam & Moritz, Garrett was an attorney at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz in New York, where he represented corporations and directors in some of the most significant M&A litigation of the 2005-2007 private equity boom and the subsequent financial crisis. Garrett began his legal career as a law clerk for the Honorable Robert D. Sack of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Delaware State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Richard S. Rodney Inn of Court
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Recognized Delaware Court of Chancery Practitioner (2016-2022)
- Recognized by Delaware Super Lawyers in Business Litigation (2013-2021)
- Recognized in Delaware Today Top Lawyers for Appellate Litigation (2017)
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star
News & Speaking Engagements
- Benchmark Litigation Again Ranks Ross Aronstam & Moritz “Highly Recommended” for Delaware LitigationOctober 2022
- The Legal 500 US Again Recognizes Ross Aronstam & Moritz and Its Lawyers as Among the Top Nationwide for M&A LitigationJune 2022
- Chambers USA Again Ranks Firm Band 1 for Court of Chancery Litigation; Recognizes Firm’s Attorneys As Leading Chancery Litigators and National Trial LawyersJune 2022
- Benchmark Litigation Again Ranks Ross Aronstam & Moritz as “Highly Recommended” for Delaware LitigationNovember 2021
- The Legal 500 US Again Recognizes Ross Aronstam & Moritz And Its Lawyers As Among the Top Nationwide for M&A LitigationJune 2021
- May 2021
- The Legal 500 US Again Ranks Ross Aronstam & Moritz Among The Top Firms Nationwide for M&A LitigationJune 2020
- April 2020
- The Legal 500 US Again Ranks Ross Aronstam & Moritz Among The Top Firms Nationwide for M&A LitigationMay 2019
- April 2019
- June 2018
- May 2018
- May 26, 2017
- June 14, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- June 1, 2015
- Garrett Moritz Accepts New York State Bar Association Commercial and Federal Litigation Section’s 2009 Award for Excellence in Commercial Brief Writing on Behalf of the Wachtell Lipton TeamMay 2, 2009